We move as one team. We’re champions of fresh thinking, and aren’t afraid of a challenge. We listen to our people – a good idea can come from anywhere, or anyone. So here you’ll have a voice: one that changes lives for the better. And together, we’ll realise the remarkable every day.
About the job
Salary: £17,173 - £17,972 a year pro rata
Hours per week: various
Contract type: Permanent (Term-time )
Do you have some experience in large scale catering or similar, with knowledge of food preparation, cooking and service? If yes, we want to hear from you.
We have five exciting opportunities within our Catering Services team where you will provide support the Kitchen Manager in the overall management of the kitchen and staff in accordance with and to the standard required by LBC Catering Services policies and procedures, meeting the requirements of the School Food Plan, Health and Safety, and Food Hygiene legislation and best practice in accordance with the SLA/Contract with the school.
These opportunities will be based at:
- Maidenhall Infants School – 25 hours
- Roecroft Lower School – 25 hours
Please confirm on your supporting statement which location you will be applying for.
This is a public facing role so you’ll need to show off your fluency in speaking and writing English.
Our ideal candidate will need to be a good communicator and able to supervise staff. You’ll need to be an effective team player and be able to demonstrate a high level of cookery skills.
We do ask that you have NVQ Level 2 Award, Food Safety in Catering or working towards level 2 or have relevant experience, basic knowledge of food and personal hygiene, kitchen and health and safety legislation. We look forward to receiving you application.
Luton Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Applicants must be willing to undergo child and/or vulnerable adults protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).
We offer a range of excellent staff benefits which include:
- flexible working arrangements - we welcome requests for flexible working arrangements including part-time hours and alternative working patterns
- childcare vouchers
- 24/7 independent Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- generous holiday entitlement
- local government pension with generous employer contribution
- excellent support and development
- relocation package available up to £8,500 (subject to meeting eligibility criteria)
- half price season ticket on Thameslink train line
- discounted shopping including gym membership and Vauxhall cars
- Luton Council is proud to offer a Housing Brokerage Service for Key Workers to help and support eligible employees in finding suitable housing