We move as one team. We’re champions of fresh thinking, and aren’t afraid of a challenge. We listen to our people – a good idea can come from anywhere, or anyone. So here you’ll have a voice: one that changes lives for the better. And together, we’ll realise the remarkable every day.
About the job
Salary: £18,319 - £24,657 a year (subject to progression)
Hours per week: 35 or 37
Contract type: Permanent
Are you interested in making a difference to people’s lives by providing high quality information, advice and guidance to Luton's citizens? If so, our Customer Service Team needs you.
Luton Council has a number of vacancies within its Customer Service department, providing support to citizens online, over the phone and in person. As the 'front door' for most council services, you will be at the heart of the councils activities, championing the voice of the customer and working with us to improve outcomes for all our residents.
These are public facing roles so you'll need to show off your fluency in speaking and writing English. Additionally you will have good customer service skills, will be confident in the use of IT systems and will be able to communicate and record complex information clearly. You'll also be comfortable working in a busy and sometimes demanding environment.
In return, we will provide the training and support you'll need to deliver a range of high quality, professional services including welfare and benefits, council tax, housing and adult social care. While we expect to appoint at the bottom of the salary scale our progression scheme means you will have the opportunity to rapidly develop your career within customer services if this is where your passion resides or alternatively the knowledge, skills and experience you gain with us, will equip you well for other career opportunities within the council. As an employer, we offer a generous annual leave entitlement and a host of other benefits.
If you are interested in starting or progressing career at Luton Council, we look forward to receiving your application.
'Previous applicants need not re-apply’
We offer a range of excellent staff benefits which include:
- flexible working arrangements - we welcome requests for flexible working arrangements including part-time hours and alternative working patterns
- 24/7 independent Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- generous holiday entitlement
- local government pension with generous employer contribution
- excellent support and development
- relocation package available up to £8,500 (subject to meeting eligibility criteria)
- half price season ticket on Thameslink train line
- discounted shopping including gym membership and Vauxhall cars
- Luton Council is proud to offer a Housing Brokerage Service for Key Workers to help and support eligible employees in finding suitable housing