Gill Blowers Nursery is a split site school, having one centre situated at Mossdale Court (0-5 years), and another at Leabank (2-5 years). Both nurseries are unique because they are underneath the tower blocks of flats.
The nursery provides high quality early years care and education for pupils from 0-5 years of age. Although having been established for some years, they became a nursery school in 1999.
Gill Blowers Nursery is named in memory of the woman who vigorously campaigned to open the two sites. Retaining the name is seen as a fitting tribute, and a celebration of the work she undertook.
About the job
The successful applicant will work as part of a team in the Nursery School where you will undertake a range of duties such as:
- Provide support in the setting by interacting with children, or carrying out other duties as specified by the class teacher or team leader
- Provide support to individual children as directed by the class teacher or team leader
- Assist in preparations for teaching and learning, helping to set out and clear away activities and equipment, putting up displays, organising resources such as mixing paints, cutting paper, tidying the home corner, helping to maintain the order and cleanliness of the learning environment both indoors and outside
- Assist in the care, supervision and development of children in the indoor and outside classrooms and take part in the children’s daily routine, including mealtimes and nappy changing
- Accompany staff on school outings, assisting in the supervision of children
- Accompany staff on home visits if and when required
- Provide feedback to teaching and other staff on children’s daily routines and progress
- Be willing to learn about children’s development stages, progress and how to best support their learning
- Assist with periodic activities that have been arranged for the children e.g. when animals are brought to school
- Understanding of confidentiality in schools
- Good communication skills, with children and adults
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to use own initiative
- Knowledge of safeguarding
- Knowledge of health and safety
- Understanding of equality and diversity
- Professional appearance and manner
- Able to contribute constructively to and work effectively as a team member
- Able to take direction and use own initiative
- Desire to work in a child centred environment
- Good timekeeping
- Prepared to learn new skills
- Flexible, enthusiastic and with plenty of common-sense
- A kind, friendly and nurturing approach
This is a term time only role (38 weeks plus 5 days training). The post holder will not be permitted to take annual leave during term time.
The role may involve lifting of children and equipment. There may also be the requirement to clear up after a pupil has been ill or had a spillage/toileting accident.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Because of the nature of this post, it will be necessary for the appropriate level of criminal record disclosure to be undertaken.