We move as one team. We’re champions of fresh thinking, and aren’t afraid of a challenge. We listen to our people – a good idea can come from anywhere, or anyone. So here you’ll have a voice: one that changes lives for the better. And together, we’ll realise the remarkable every day.
About the job
Salary: £16,394 – £16,495 a year pro rata plus supplement to bring pay in line with the Foundation Living Wage, which is currently £8.75 per hour
Hours per week: Various
Contract type: Permanent (Term-time only - various hours)
Do you have some experience in catering or similar and excellent customer service skills? If yes, we want to hear from you.
We have exciting opportunities available within the Catering Services Team where you will be using your professional catering skills to support the Kitchen Manager in the overall operation of the kitchen and staff. This will be in accordance with and to the standard required by LBC Catering Services policies and procedures.
You will also be required to meet the requirements of the school food plan, health and safety, food hygiene legislation and best practice in accordance with the SLA/ contract with the school.
These opportunities will be based at:
- St Matthews Primary School - Juniors– 10 hours
- Foxdell Junior– 10 hours
- Riverbank Primary School– 15 hours
- Hillborough Infants – 12.5 hours
- Tennyson Road North– 10 hours
- Putteridge High School– 16.25 and 20 hours
- Chantry Primary School – 15 hours
Please confirm on your supporting statement which location you will be applying for.
To be successful in this role you must have the ability to understand and follow instructions. You will need to be able to work effectively as part of a team and be able to work co-operatively to meet service demands.
You will have the opportunity to develop on your already existing knowledge of high standards of kitchen hygiene.
It is essential you are able to perform physical tasks on a frequent basis such as lifting catering equipment up to 20kg.
You will also be required to adjust working hours to meet service demands, travel to all schools operated by LBC Catering Services and be able to converse with ease with members of the public in accurate and fluent spoken English.
Luton Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Applicants must be willing to undergo child and/or vulnerable adults protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).
We offer a range of excellent staff benefits which include:
- flexible working arrangements - we welcome requests for flexible working arrangements including part-time hours and alternative working patterns
- childcare vouchers
- 24/7 independent Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- generous holiday entitlement
- local government pension with generous employer contribution
- excellent support and development
- relocation package available up to £8,500 (subject to meeting eligibility criteria)
- half price season ticket on Thameslink train line
- discounted shopping including gym membership and Vauxhall cars
- Luton Council is proud to offer a Housing Brokerage Service for Key Workers to help and support eligible employees in finding suitable housing