About the job
Salary: £31,371 - £33,799 a year, plus £963 essential car user allowance
Hours per week: 37
Contract type: Permanent
Do you have substantial demonstrable experience within accountancy/financial environment which includes providing advice on complex issues, the preparation of budgets, the closure of accounts, budget monitoring and budgetary control and using I.T. based financial management systems? If yes, we want to hear from you.
We have an exciting opportunity within the Finance team, where you will undertake accountancy duties for and provide advice and support to a defined number of schools who have delegated budgets in accordance with the Local Management of Schools Scheme.
You will be responsible for providing accurate financial advice and practical support to Headteachers as required, including:
- interpretation of the Fair Funding Formula and Scheme for Financing Schools
- interpretation of monthly financial statements, financial planning
- specialist advice to schools causing concern.
You will also proactively identify different solutions to problems presented by schools which allow the “customer’s” requirements to be met whilst simultaneously ensuring that financial regulations and statutory requirements are followed.
This is a public facing role so you’ll need to show off your fluency in speaking and writing English.
Our ideal candidate should have some in-depth knowledge of accountancy principles and practice. Excellent communication skills are required for this role as you should have the ability to give clear and effective professional guidance and advice on complex financial issues at a senior level and to non-accountants.
You must have high level and accurate numerical reasoning skills, and be educated to AAT qualification or NVQ Level 4 in accounting or equivalent qualification or experience.
If you think you could become an asset to the team, then please do not hesitate to get in touch. We look forward to receiving your application.
Luton Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Applicants must be willing to undergo child and/or vulnerable adults protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).
We offer a range of excellent staff benefits which include:
- flexible working arrangements - we welcome requests for flexible working arrangements including part-time hours and alternative working patterns
- 24/7 independent Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- generous holiday entitlement
- local government pension with generous employer contribution
- excellent support and development
- relocation package available up to £8,500 (subject to meeting eligibility criteria)
- half price season ticket on Thameslink train line
- discounted shopping including gym membership and Vauxhall cars
- Luton Council is proud to offer a Housing Brokerage Service for Key Workers to help and support eligible employees in finding suitable housing