About the job
Salary: £18,426 - £18,795 per year, pro rata
Hours per week: 16
Contract type: Permanent
We have an opportunity within the Street Cleaning Services department where you will organise, supervise a Street Cleansing crew, and ensure that street cleansing operations are carried out within the Borough of Luton.
In this vital role, you’ll organise, supervise and motivate a team of operatives and ensure that safe and efficient street cleansing services are provided to the required quality standard and in accordance with the Environmental Protection Act (1990) and Best Value requirements.
This role will require you to remove litter and dumped items within the Borough of Luton in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act (1990). This will include manual and mechanical sweeping, litter picking, wet washing, litter bin cleansing, clearing garage sites, clearing waste land, clearing up after special events, and clearing up after Road Traffic Accidents, weed spraying and gully cleansing.
This is a public facing role so you will need to show off your fluency in speaking and writing English.
Our ideal candidate must have the ability to plan and organise workload and to react to changing work demands at short notice. The operation of street cleansing service will require a high level of physical effort. The majority of work some 50% each day will involve lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending and walking long distances.
We need someone who has the ability to accurately record information including assessment and log sheets.
You must hold a full current driving licence (Class C1 as from 1997) in order to be successful in this role.
Therefore, if you have the ability to Ability to undertake health and safety risk assessments; then we look forward to receiving your application.
We offer a range of excellent staff benefits which include:
- generous holiday entitlement with the option to buy up to 10 days
- flexible working arrangements - we welcome requests for flexible working arrangements including part-time hours and alternative working patterns
- 24/7 independent Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- local government pension with generous employer contribution of 17.3%
- excellent support and development
- relocation package available up to £8,500 (subject to meeting eligibility criteria)
- half price season ticket on Thameslink train line
- discounted shopping including gym membership and Vauxhall cars
- Luton Council is proud to offer a Housing Brokerage Service for Key Workers to help and support eligible employees in finding suitable housing